Wants to Meet Up
- Last login about 15 hours ago
Join Couchsurfing to see David’s full profile.
To make a difference in the world through social entrepreneurship.
I am originally from Memphis, TN and have spent two years in Chicago, three years in the central Philippines working as a Peace Corps Volunteer, I worked in Australia, traveled around South East Asia, and have lived in Portland Oregon for almost 10 years before returning to the Philippines to follow my passion.
Things that I take very seriously are:
-My relationships with others: It does not matter if you are just a friend or something more. I value a person's time and effort that they put into a friendship and I always return the effort.
-Social Justice: After working and living in Chicago social justice became a part of what makes me "me." I believe in the rights of all and strive to be a part of the solution rather than the problem. I became a peace score volunteer more than 10 years ago and after returning to the United States I never quite found a purpose again. Which is why I have returned to the Philippines to start a social enterprise here on the island.
-I love the outdoors: I moved to Oregon to become a rafting guide. Now that I'm back in the Philippines my focus has returned to the ocean. I love scuba diving and anything with water. But I can also be found just exploring a cave or a forest up in the mountains.
-Adventure: I am not someone who just likes to sit around all the time. If someone is up for doing something then I am out the door. It could be anything from going on a hike or cooking some seafood on the beach.
-Respect for others: I am a person who wishes to respect other people’s culture, and morals. I am not a person wishes to enforce my will on others.
-Food: I love to cook for others and not just myself if I can avoid it. I am always down for exploring other recipes and like expanding my own knowledge base.
I am a very spiritual person. I believe that i am called to do many things in my life. I am very positive person when it comes to how i view the world around me. As long as people are willing to respect who i am as a person i will in turn give them the same respect. I am a very free wheeling person but i always have a general plan. So as a whole i tend to fall in the middle when it comes to alot of my perspectives
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
HOW I PARTICIPATE IN COUCHSURFING
I believe that it is a great opportunity to meet others and explore different cultures and views. I am a host at heart but it seems that many of my experiences are surfing right now.
I have done cross country travels in the US and stayed at different peoples homes for the night and up to ten. I have also stayed on in various peoples homes throughout the Philippines.
1. Philippines- Hosted Niki on Siquijor Nov 16-19 2010
2. Philippines-Traveled with Flo and Nicole for a day 11-30-09
3. Singapore-Met Nisa for a day on the town and many many other CSers at a gathering that same night. 1-3-10
4.Thailand-Dinner with some couchsurfers of many nationalities in Bankok. what an unexpected night. 1-24-10
5. Vietnam-Was Hosted by Thao in Hue, Vietnam for two days
6. Australia- Surfed for three months in Melbourne along with many CS events each week.
7. Outback Australia-surfed and had coffee with Surfers in Alice Springs
8. Philippines-Traveled with Sare Engstrand in the Philippines
9. Philippines-Was hosted by 4 couchsurfers in the Southern Philippines
10.Vietnam-Meet with different CS travelers all over Vietnam.
11. United States-Surfed in Atlanta GA for a conference
12. United States-Hosted lasted minute surfers in Memphis
13. United States-Surfed in Wichita KS
14. United States-Have become active in CS in Portland OR
15. United States- New York City- A last minute trip turned into the time of my life while being hosted by Katarina
16. Colombia - Bogota- surfed with a family for three days
17. Colombia - Cali- surfed for two nights
18. Ecuador - Quito - Met many CSers at a local hostel and surfing with a Peace Corps Volunteer for 6 days
19. Peru - Trijillo - surfed for two nights with Jesse
20. Peru - Lima - Went to a CS gathering in Miraflores
21. Ecuador- Catamayo- Ran from a landslide with Nicky
22. United Kingdom- London- Hosted by Becky
23. Spain- Seville- hosted by Alfonso and family
24. Malmo - Copenhagen - Hosted by Sara
25. Scotland - Edinburgh- Participated in ER 7
26. Hosted Lise for 4 days in Portland, OR
27. United States, Boston - Surfed with Katie
28. United States: Hosted: Angela in Portland Oregon
29. United States: Hosted: Tina in Portland
30. United States: Hosted: 2 Australians for a day
31. United States; Was hosted in Seattle
32. Hong Kong: Was hosted in Hong Kong
33. United States: Hosted people in Canby, OR
34. Philippines: Surfed in Eastern Manila
35. Hosted in Canby, Oregon
36. Surfed in Cebu City, Philippines
- whitewater rafting
- scuba diving
- rock climbing
- social science
- road trips
- social justice
- good conversation
- asian food
- foreign affairs
Music, Movies, and Books
reading materials- Time, National Geographic, History books, and some fiction, investigative journals.
Music- I will give anything a chance, but overall i am a singer songwriter people (Mat Kearney is my favorite choice)
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
-Swam with whale sharks
-Climbed a volcano
-Paraglide in Ecuador
-Watched the roman Coliseum at sunset
Teach, Learn, Share
If in anyway my experiences in life (even if painful) i would be more than happy to share those experiences with others.
What I Can Share with Hosts
I can make amazing from scratch pizza!
Countries I’ve Visited
Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, England, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Laos, Malaysia, Peru, Scotland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, United States, Vatican City State, Viet Nam
Countries I’ve Lived In
Australia, Greece, Mexico, Philippines, United States