- 97% response rate
- Last login 2 days ago
Join Couchsurfing to see Pete’s full profile.
Howdy folks. I just finished up my PhD in social psychology and now I'm studying a few different things related to culture and politics, with some behavioral science consulting on the side. I also recently started a consulting company, which I’m very excited about.
Why I’m on Couchsurfing
I enjoy meeting new people and have always enjoyed couch surfing when traveling. I've met amazing people, learned so much about the world, and continue to live a bigger and fuller life because of it. CS rules.
Here are some things that I’m passionate about that I’d love to share/connect over with hosts and guests:
• Jiu-jitsu. Since January 2023 I’ve been training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Daniel Vianna at Vianna Brothers, Chicago, which is an awesome, awesome gym. I’m still a white belt, but I’ve competed multiple times and really enjoy the comradery and just how chill and supportive the whole community has been. I almost always drop into a gym where I’m traveling so I’d be happy to check out yours/invite you to mine.
• Stand-up comedy. Huge stand-up comedy fan and I’ve performed at a few venues in Chicago, like the comedy bar and Lincoln Lodge. Let’s check out some comedy in my city or yours, or if you’re feeling up to it, go to an open mic and perform!
• Salsa/Bachata. Huge fan of salsa, but lately I’ve been getting more into Bachata. The community in Chicago is enormous, so if you’re interested in social dancing, I usually go Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Weight lifting. Been doing this for about 15 years and really enjoy blowing off steam with it. I actually know very little about structured or formal weightlifting “plans” though, so tbh I could probably use some guidance here lol.
• Psychology and research. I guess, technically I have to put this here since I've spent so much of my life doing it. Social psychology (how people think, feel, and behave based on their environments and social situations) is a super cool area of research that connects to so many others, so I geek out pretty heavy here.
• … or whatever you’re interested in! There’s so much I don’t know about the world, and I would be very interested in learning more about your passions. Through CS, I’ve learned a lot from people who are into sailing, distance cycling, gambling, racing, etc.
- salsa dancing
- rock climbing
- jiu jitsu
- stand up
Music, Movies, and Books
I love reading. Some of my favorites include: Haruki Murakami, Tobias Wolff, Zadie Smith, Aimee Bender, David Brooks, David Foster Wallace, Tim Kreider, Christopher Hitchens, Tim O'Brien, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, Zack Bean, David Sedaris, Jim Shepard
I'm currently reading a collection of essays by Zadie Smith and a book about how we represent ourselves digitally (I know, the irony).
One Amazing Thing I’ve Done
When I was 25 I invented a suite of social media machine-learning algorithms, several of which went to patent. I wish I could say they're making the world a better place, but chances are they're out drinking Olde English 40's and loitering on the various stoops of the internet.
What I Can Share with Hosts
I've been told I make a mean grilled cheese sandwich and that my singing sounds like a walrus giving birth to farm equipment. So look forward to that. I've hosted a handful of people when living in Pittsburgh, Seattle, Champaign, Chicago, and have also surfed in Oregon, Washington, Germany, and the UK.
Countries I’ve Visited
Canada, Germany, Italy, United Kingdom